Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Dog Valley, a Sense of Place





Verdi Side,  cord 39.5243230, -120.0125800

This place matters to me because I have spent a lot of time at work and play back here. It is rich in wildlife, hosts a crystal mine, camping, and fishing. I fight wildfires, do forestry work, hunt for crystals and mushrooms, drive my Jeep and hike with my dog. The area provides easy access for fishing and swimming nearby in the Boca, and stampede reservoirs, and the Truckee river. There is also access on the north end through Border-town/Cold Springs side or you can get there from Peavine if you are hiking or have a 4x4 drive.                                                                                         

 

 How I created my scroll.


First I had to select a medium, I experimented with a few things such as printing, block printing, cirtisolve, and gel-transfer. Surfaces such as bristol paper, parchment, leather, gesso canvass and raw canvass. This effort provided a wealth of ideas some of which would work with this project and some that would not. 

I went with gel-tranfer  on raw canvass because it proved to be the best for what I wanted to do.

I needed glue, Gloss Heavy Gel Medium, some wooden dowel, and artist canvass,

1. First I selected the digital photographs that I wanted to use, printed them out plus extras in case some did not work out. I have found with gel-tranfer there are sometimes failures. 

2. Thoroughly coated the prints with acrylic gloss gel and waited 12-24 hours for it to dry.

3. After the gel is dry soak them in water to so I can clean the paper off, this leaves a glossy, translucent print that may look a little tattered. 

4. Figure out the pieces I am going to use by laying out the prints in the order I need keeping in mind composition, geography and timeline. Geography is especially important for a Sense of Place work. 

5. Cut the canvas to the length and width needed keeping in mind the gallery space that I am limited to. Cut the dowels to the length approperate for my scroll it should be at least two inches long than the width of the scroll so the view has something to hold on to.

6. Make a single wrap of the canvass around the dowel and then glue it.You also stitch with end caps or staple or a combination of methods to attach the material to the dowel. 

7. Place the gel-transfers on the scroll in the order you want trimming to fit if necessary and attach them with more gel by thoroughly coating the back. Then coat the top filling in cracks and if the picks are close enough together fill in the area in between, this creates a solid sheet of gel which will still look tattered is actually pretty durable.

8. At this point you just need to give it time to dry and then you can roll it up or hang in up.

Some photographs that I used and did not use.The ones not used was because they would not fit on the scroll, but they are part of the story.
















No comments:

Post a Comment